Thursday, June 30, 2011

A Child's Innocence

I think I mentioned in a previous post about how my parents are awesome. I mean they really are. They have been foster parents to five siblings since October. There has been a lot of discussion lately on where the kids will live and with whom. I think we are all having a hard time with trying to figure out what is really the best situation for the kids. And let's be honest. It's not really up to us. I guess it's more of realizing that it's not really in our hands. Or the courts hands for that matter. It's in God's hands. He has put these five children into our lives for a reason. And no matter how long they are with us, or where they end up, it is all meant to be. Sometimes that is a hard concept for me to grasp. I am more worried about how these decisions will effect me. I just want what is best for these kids. Period. I wanted to give you an example of why these kids are amazing. Here is a conversation my 6 year old foster brother had with Chelsea (Scott's girlfriend/chauffeur/awesome person).

Chelsea: What do you want to be when you grow up?
Brother: Well...how do you even get a job?
C: Well there is this form you fill out, it's called an application.
B: But what happens if you don't have a car, how are you supposed to get to work?
C: You can take a bus. Or if it is close enough, you may be able to walk.
B: Do you think you have to speak Spanish to work at Los Portales?
C: No buddy I don't think you do.
B: Ok good. Then I want to work at Los Portales when I grow up!

Now anyone that knows our family knows that we like to eat at Los Portales. A lot. I wanted to cry when I heard this story. With all the decisions that are being made for the kids' futures, sometimes it takes something like this to make us stop, smile, and say a quick thanks to God. At the end of the day, it's not really in our hands anyways, is it?

1 comment:

  1. I can so hear nathan saying that right now as i read it! what a cutie!!! thanks for sharing this :)

    ReplyDelete